Sunday, April 5, 2009

Firemen stand up for their Morals - Please Visit Site


http://www.firefightersdefensefund.org/site/c.jdKMKSOuHoE/b.4802855/

This is a site that makes me feel a bit better about things. And yet I'm still a little red under the collar. Today I was driving home with Dave from Fort Collins, CO. I turned the radio and scanned the channels. I was very interested in a talk radio conversation which had a Fireman from San Diego on the line with the radio host. They were talking about a present case that this particular Firefighter Unit in San Diego, was in. I was so livid and down right well... livid explains it. The Firemen in this unit were called and told they had to be in the Gay Pride Parade of San Diego. The chief simply stated, none of the men and he as well did not want to be around, or associated with the activities that would go on during this Parade every year. Come to find very lud and crass behavior, not surprisingly, is exhibited every year at this parade. And, why do we over look these "illegal" actions? Seriously, they are illegal and the city turns a blind eye to it every year. gerrr, I better calm down. I just feel it so unjust that someone would be forced by the government in that particular city to participate in something that is very strongly against their belief, against their will, and how horrible it would be for those men with families and wives to spend a horrible horrible day being cat called, exposed to nudity, and inappropriate language and physical action. Oh, goodness, seriously? Do we really have a hard time standing up for things? Well, i was very proud and happy to hear this Unit did. They stood up and because of it are in a costly case to help them and others who do not wish to forced to do something they do not agree with. I am so happy to know there are average day Hero's still out there who want to stand up for them selves and not be pushed down and subjected to.

3 comments:

  1. What a crazy story! It made me mad, too. That kind of thing shouldn't happen in this country--what about freedom of choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I agree with what happened, but their employer is the government. The choice is you do what your employer says, or lose your job.

    The argument could be made, however, that the firemen were (or could have reasonably been expected to be) demeaned to such a point that what their employer asked them to do is illegal.

    If the gay parade is that bad (and, having had several gay friends and having work with many, I have no reason to think it wouldn't be) then it would be similar to forcing a government employee to participate in New Orleans' Mardi Gras celebration... and no reasonable person would argue the incongruity of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was SOOOO mad also when Eric told me about this! I am glad you posted this. I agree with everything you said in your post. What if it were the other way around? They 'gays' asked to go to a 'straight' parade where they would be constantly harrassed and embarrased? I dont know why people feel like they should protect this parade, because as you said the things that go on at it are illegal. I better stop, before I get too mad.
    But thanks for posting this and standing for what you believe in.

    ReplyDelete