Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas!

This year I felt so hum drum about Christmas and I still am not going to decorate but I feel like I finally caught the Christmas bug when I started to read the Christmas Carol. I told myself last year that I would make it a tradition to read The Christmas Carol every December and I was excited to do it so it was easy. Then the bug grew when I went to watch The Christmas Carol in theaters with Dave. I really grow from the story and sometimes feel like there are little pieces of me that are a bit scroogish and need a little kneading.
So I softened and last week I made 32 dozen cookies and gave them to people who work with Dave and family and friends. I loved it!! I thought about those people the whole time I was making the cookies and I was just excited to give them something. For me I hate the thought of the monetary side of Christmas. It takes the life out of Christmas for me. So this was a good way for me to give and not think about the money.
Plus I love Christmas Carols. Yesterday, Relief Society sang "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" and despite the horrible singing that was going on all around, I really started crying. It is such a beautiful song. I was also thinking during the lesson how it really is a Miracle every Christmas. I hear people say, "I should be like this all year" or "We should be like this all year". Then I think, no then that would take the miracle of Christmas. I think every year you become better, (should at least) and every Christmas still is that much more of a Miracle. It always leaves mans heart a little warmer, a little softer and a little more giving to "our fellow travelers to the grave"

"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"


(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), 1867)

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,

Of peace on earth, good will to men!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found your Christmas spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dickens. Totally the best ever! You've inspired me to re-read that one too . . . shoot, I lost my British anthology in our move. Ba hum bug!

    Well, I'm glad to see you're finally in the spirit. And that is A LOT of cookies!

    ReplyDelete